The Darla Update

I could say I’ve been writing nonstop.

But that would not be the complete truth. I could say that my grandchildren have occupied a bit of my time. I suppose what you must take away from this is that it may be hitched to both of those truths. Perhaps something in between.

But in the sit downs ideas were brewing.

Amazing how ideas find you.

Like the afternoon millions of years ago when I awoke from an afternoon nap. The entire plot was in my head. I wrote my first book. But as you know the first book is never the one you end up publishing.

My recent idea for a new series came when I was busy. Doing what I don’t remember. The idea of a Fairy Godmother in 2019 just popped into my head. And it nestled there for months. The woman giving me inspiration was Agnes Moorehead. Remember her from the original Bewitched series? She’s also on a number of classic radio shows. Anyway, I could see her as my Fairy Godmother in modern New York City.

After I’d finished it, my editor said that what I’d written (without realizing it) was an Urban Fantasy. She said it was a winner,. Maybe one reason I enjoyed writing it so much was that I loved the freedom it gave me.

But for those of you who loved my African series, do not worry. Annabelle and Baloyi are deep in trouble again following leads from the New Scotland Yard. It takes you through Zimbabwe and South Africa. Third in the series. will be out in 2020, following MIDNIGHT IN MALAMULELE and MIDNIGHT REDEMPTION.

Enjoy reading!

darlabartos@gmail.com

10 thoughts on “The Darla Update

1. Henri Farmer February 12, 2019 / 2:40 pm

It’s been a while since I thought of your writing, but am so, so glad you are back at it again. Also….loved the complete change in characters and surroundings. Of course, I am biased as New York is still my favorite destination. You never reported your last African trip with little Benji. How amazed was she at the difference in where she was born and where she lives now? As I remember, she now lives in France where you visited her a few months ago. Good that you are settled down where you can devote time and energy to writing. My best wishes for your newest project! Hugs

Sent from my iPad

2. Benjie Blase February 12, 2019 / 3:37 pm

I love your writing and your imagination! I can’t wait to read the Fairy Godmother as well as the third African story!

• Darla Bartos February 13, 2019 / 8:31 am

Anxious to see how you like it! Thanks for checking in!

3. hholcomb February 12, 2019 / 6:44 pm

Darla: Looking forward to your next book, next series!

/Henry

Henry J. Holcomb 10154 NE Evergreen Parkway #361 Hillsboro OR 97124-8201

Home: (503) 992-6263 Mobile: (503) 443-8013

• Darla Bartos February 13, 2019 / 8:31 am

Henry, great to hear from you! You’ve moved! How is Oregon? We need to catch up!

4. Rebecca Martinez February 13, 2019 / 8:09 am

It’s great to see you back in the thick of it. I’m looking forward to reading your latest book, and to continue following the jouurney of Annabelle and Baloyi.

5. rebeccagrace February 13, 2019 / 8:10 am

It’s great to see you back in the thick of things. I’m looking forward to reading your new book and to continue following the adventures of Annabelle and Baloyi

• Darla Bartos February 13, 2019 / 8:26 am

Thanks Becky! Great to hear from you!

6. Victoria February 14, 2019 / 3:15 pm

You are an inspiration and a joy to know! Keep going, page by page!