Signs Stir the Spirit

Yesterday a series of strange and amazing moments filled me with wonder.

Thanks Pinterest!
Thanks Pinterest!

Standing in the US Post Office in Colorado while attempting to mail three of my MIDNIGHT IN MALAMULELE books to a friend in Nigeria, I anxiously awaited to hear how much it would cost. (An earlier quote from FEDEX was $121.)

A delightful young man worked feverishly on his computer to find the cheapest way to send my package overseas. His total was $31. I was delighted.

As I was about to leave, I spied his name tag.  Vince. I must have looked astonished as I explained to him, “That’s the name of a character in my book.” As I left, I thought about that. Of all the personnel, of all the days and schedules, or all the minutes in the day, how could he have been the one to be waiting on me? To help me. To be there at that particular moment.

Next, I went to Pier One looking for a stable tray to put on my coffee table. A petite dark-haired sales person became energized, explaining she’d just seen one and she began looking throughout the store, then researched it online. She’d been so helpful that I asked her name so I could find her later when I was finished shopping.  You can imagine my shock when she said her name was “Ella.” Yes, you guessed it. Ella is the Nana to Baloyi in my MIDNIGHT IN MALAMULELE.

Two situations, two names from my book on the same day, the same hour, consecutively? What are the odds? I stood there in amazement explaining it to her. She mentioned something about good luck.

At 2:30 a.m. I opened an email sent yesterday to discover that my first book MIDNIGHT IN MALAMULELE was listed under general fiction as an honorable mention in the San Francisco Book Festival.

What are the chances? I don’t have an answer for why all of this happened on the same day. But it was strange and I will dwell on that for a while. Motivation? Encouragement? Absolutely.

Paying attention to signs is important. There are signs all around us. It stirs the spirit.

6 thoughts on “Signs Stir the Spirit

1. Rebecca Grace May 12, 2015 / 7:35 am

Darla
    Good signs all! Congratulations on the San Francisco Book festival honorable mention. What a great day for you. Keep watching for those signs. Good things will come.

2. Rebecca Grace May 12, 2015 / 7:37 am

Darla
    Good signs all! Congratulations on the San Francisco Book Festival honorable mention. That’s a wonderful accomplishment. Keep watching for those signs! Good things will come.

• Darla Bartos May 20, 2015 / 5:00 pm

Thanks Becky for your good wishes! Very exciting stuff!

3. Benjie Blase May 12, 2015 / 7:55 am

OMGosh! That was truly a sign of good fortune! But you left out one part. You also guessed the EXACT number of jelly beans in a giant jar at my office! What are the odds of that happening! You need to start buying lotto tickets!

4. Susan Clarke May 12, 2015 / 12:27 pm

I had chills reading Vince’s name and then Ella’s..more chills and then the cherry on the cake for your book’s honorable mention in the San Francisco Book festival. So glad you were listening for the “signs”. A great reminder of confirmation when synchronicities like that occur! A great reminder to me to “pay attention”! Thanks.

• Darla Bartos May 20, 2015 / 3:44 am

Signs are truly fascinating, aren’t they? Sometimes they come out of nowhere. That’s because momentarily we have forgotten to watch!