What is it you tell yourself when you’re supposed to be — but you’re not — writing?
- The smoke alarm went off all night. No fire. Too high to replace the battery. I need a nap. I’ll write better after I catch a few.
- I’ll watch “Murder in the First.” Then I’ll start writing. It’s research!
- The leaves on my weeping fig tree need cleaning. I can think and plot as I clean.
- Look at all the books on my shelves. I’ve never read half of them. Reading is essential to writing. I’ll spend a few hours reading.
- I need to sit on the deck and think about the ending to my book. Maybe I’ll get some new ideas.
- Wonder what Plato said about excuses? I should research that.
- My blog is what’s important. Helping other writers learn to write better. That should come first, shouldn’t it?
- My pro bono editing. The client is waiting half a world away for corrections.
- What about all those people waiting on my novel? Hmmm.